Whether you’ve lost your confidence or you’re simply chilly, getting cold feet is rarely considered a good thing. Fortunately, installing a radiant floor heating system can help you avoid frigid floors and bring welcome warmth to your space. Is this type of system right for you? Exploring the benefits of radiant floor heating might help you warm up to the idea. If you do choose to try it, use our radiant floor heating tips to make the most of your system.
The Benefits of Radiant Floor Heating
Many people initially look into radiant floor heating because they want to enjoy the comfort of toasty toes no matter what the weather is doing outside, but this form of heating can do more than simply warm your soles. Radiant floor heating offers a variety of benefits, including the following:
- Healthier Air Quality: Forced air systems introduce more than heat into the air in your home; they can also bring in allergens, mold spores, and bacteria. With radiant floor heating, there is no negative impact on your property’s air quality.
- Quiet Function: Radiant floor heating is discreet and unobtrusive. There’s no noisy hum from a blower to circulate the heat, no rush of air through ductwork, and no rattling vents.
- Consistent Warmth: With radiant floor heating, heat doesn’t hover at the ceiling. It stays low, providing consistently comfortable warmth.
- Energy Savings: Because radiant floor heating systems introduce heat at the floor level and allow it to rise, you’ll achieve a comfortable warmth with a lower setting on the thermostat, so you’ll use less energy and enjoy savings on your energy bill.
- Dependability: A quality radiant floor heating system utilizes technology that is durable and reliable. With regular maintenance, this type of system can last for 30 years or more.
Radiant Floor Heating Tips
When it comes to getting the job done right, these radiant floor heating tips can be incredibly helpful.
The Professional Touch
If you want a radiant floor heating system that operates safely and effectively, then it’s smart to choose a qualified contractor to design and install it. Look for a licensed and established heating contractor with a reputation for quality and service.
Consider the impact of your flooring on your radiant floor heating when selecting flooring for your spaces. You don’t have to worry about whether your radiant floor heating system matches the rest of your décor because it is hidden beneath the floor. However, you will want to think carefully about the type of flooring you put over it. Forms of flooring that transmit heat well, like tile, marble, and stone, warm up nicely when radiant floor heating is placed beneath them. In contrast, heavy carpeting, hardwood, and vinyl can sometimes act as insulation, interfering with the effective transfer of heat to the space above.
Some people greatly dislike stepping out of a warm shower onto a cold bathroom floor, and they choose to only install radiant floor heating in one room. Others want to use this type of heating throughout their home. In fact, radiant flooring can be used to bring warmth throughout residential and commercial spaces. Systems can even be designed for use in exterior spaces and placed outside to melt snow and ice on sidewalks, driveways, and outdoor living spaces. If you are using radiant floor heating in a room or two, a single zone may be appropriate, but if you intend to use it in various locations or on multiple floors, you might want to ask about a system with multiple zones.
The materials used to piece together your radiant heat flooring system are also important. For example, if your system will rely on hot water tubing to deliver heat, PEX tubing can be a good choice; it won’t corrode like metal pipes, and it can be installed in long lengths, decreasing the risk of leaks. Various control systems are also available. This is part of the reason that working with an experienced professional is smart. Enlisting an expert means you’ll be working with someone who understands the best way to meet your heating goals.
Maintaining the Warmth
With mechanical systems, maintenance is a fact of life. If you want your system to have a long, effective life, you need to maintain it. When installing a radiant floor system, make sure that you understand its maintenance requirements. With proper maintenance, today’s systems can last for decades.
At Long Refrigeration, we’re focused on excellence. We aren’t content with yesterday’s achievements. We’re always working to improve the services that we offer our community through our commitment to education, dedication, and professionalism. If you are interested in exploring your heating options or want to discover more radiant floor heating tips, we’re ready to assist you. Contact us today to schedule a service or request an estimate.